Identity Theft Information

If you have been a victim of Identity Theft or have had your wallet/purse stolen with valuable information (such as Social Security Cards, Drivers License, Credit/Debit Cards, etc.) the following procedures should be followed:

  • Contact your local police department and file a report
  • Make sure to get a copy of your police report and/or the case number
  • Contact the Department of Public Safety/Department of Motor Vehicles in the state where your license was issued. In Texas, the phone number is 512-424-2600
  • Notify all creditors and merchants of your stolen credit cards
  • Notify your banks/credit unions
  • Contact the Social Security Administration at 800-269-0271
  • Contact the Federal Trade Commission to inquire if someone has applied for credit in your name. Call 877-438-4338.
  • Notify the U.S Passport Agency at 1 202-647-0518.

Tips To Protect Your Identity

  • Shred all trash that has identifiers and account information
  • Never give information over the telephone or internet unless you initiated the conversation or you know who you’re dealing with
  • Remove extra information from your checks. Make the clerk or cashier ask for identification when your checks are used
  • Ensure all carbon copies from credit cards are destroyed
  • Check credit history and bank records frequently
  • Minimize the number of credit/debit cards that you carry in the event your wallet or purse is stolen

For additional information and assistance on Frauds and Scams visit the Texas Attorney General’s Office.

Credit Bureau Information

If your identity has been stolen, contact the following credit reporting agencies and request a “fraud alert” be placed on each credit report. Also, request a copy of your free credit report to compare against your own records regarding what accounts may have been opened fraudulently.

P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA. 30374
800-685-1111…credit report
800-525-6285...reporting of credit fraud


701 Parkway
Allen, TX. 75013

Trans Union:

P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, Ca. 92634 report
800-680-7289...reporting of credit fraud

Major Check Verification Companies

If you have had a check/checkbook stolen or a bank account opened fraudulently, ensure that you place a “stop payment” on any invalid or unauthorized checks, cancel your checking and savings account and obtain new numbers, and also contact the following companies:

Cartegy Inc.. 800-437-5120
SCAN.. 800-262-7771
Chexsystems.. 800-428-9623
National Processing Company.. 800-552-1900
Telecheck.. 800-710-9898