Shell Federal Credit Union started in 1937 at Shell Oil Refinery’s old Clock House building with 40 employees, who all agreed to become its first members for a fee of 25 cents per person. That initial $10 investment has now grown to over $1 billion in assets and 94,000 members and 10 locations. Shell FCU’s impressive growth has presented some challenges in terms of location and space, as they moved their main Deer Park headquarters location to 8th Street in 1959, and then moved again to their present day location at 301 E. 13th Street in 1980. Facing capacity in terms of office space and parking, they have embarked on a huge expansion project. They first purchased the car wash property across the street to the south along with some other lots, which totals 2 ½ acres. A 400-car parking garage was then constructed on the south property, along with an enclosed “sky-bridge” over 13th Street connecting the parking garage and the main credit union building. Now under construction is a new 100,000 square foot administrative building on the corner of Center St. and 13th St. The final phase is a renovation of the existing credit union building, as it will remain the Deer Park branch. Estimated completion of the entire project is the end of 2023. The project allows Shell FCU to consolidate operations and hire additional people.